Want to talk about how hot it is? We don’t either.
What do we want to talk about? These five things:
(1) Pop-Up Yoga: What a fun way to break out of your same old yoga routine. Pop-Up Yoga DSM is doing just that: “popping” up all over Des Moines and we’re excited to join in this summer. Caroline, one of our nurses will be at the next session on June 26. Check out their calendar for all the dates.
(2) Bulletproof Bars: Want to fuel your body right? You need these. Want glowing skin, flexible joints, and healthy bones? Yes, please! With 9g of collagen, the Bulletproof Collagen bars support healthy body tissues (think joints, skin, and muscles). And the 11-12g of protein will keep you full and focused.
(3) DIY, Pt. 1: Sports Drinks: Balanced electrolytes: super important, especially with that heat we don’t want to talk about. But sugary, processed sports drinks? Not the way to get you there. What’s the alternative? A homemade drink that uses stevia. And the recipe is super simple: 20 oz filtered water + 1/4tsp sea salt + 8 drops Stevia (or to taste). How simple is that?
(4) DIY, Pt. 2: Sunscreen: Skip the bottled stuff and make your own. This recipe from Mommypotamus is nontoxic and takes only a few ingredients. DETAILS ABOUT RECIPE. (Also check out what antioxidants can do to keep you protected from the sun.) No time to DIY? Check out the Environmental Working Group’s guide to sunscreens and see how yours stacks up. Thank Your Body also has a great rundown about how to stay safe in the sun, naturally, and where to buy better sunscreens.
(5) Road Snacks: We’re all for hitting the road during the summer and seeing some sites and having an adventure or two. Instead of reaching for the processed snacks at roadside stops, pack your own. (You might even save a little money, too.) A few of our picks:
Homemade Fruit Roll-Ups (Paleo Plan)
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (Dr. Axe)
Paleo Trail Mix (Nom Nom Paleo)
Roasted Thyme and Tamari Nuts (Deliciously Ella)
The only con to packing your own snacks is that heat (again with that heat!). Hot temps can do a number on snacks as they sit in your car. So pack your spread in a nice cooler. And be sure to bring your water bottle, too.
We hope your summer is off to a great start! Here’s to a season of healthy adventures!